Columbus Gives Back is thrilled to become more involved with Star House and to support their efforts reconnecting homeless and transitional youth in Central Ohio! Due to the nature of some of their programs and activities interacting with these youth, training is required before volunteers can interact with kids.
What: First, volunteers will go thrugh the volunteer orientation process (9:30am – 11:30ish, see below). Afterwards (11:30ish – 1pm), we will light the grill and have a cookout with the youth at Star House! Why the orientation? We will begin volunteering more with Star House, and volunteers for their youth-interactive activities must have completed a session with Columbus Gives Back or one of their other regularly scheduled sessions.
Check Out: Our other volunteer orientation is on 8/26! If you have completed the orientation and background check already, you can hang out with the youth before we start grilling!
Where: Star House, 1220 Corrugated Way, Columbus, OH 43201
When: Monday, September 3, 9:30am-1:00pm
Event Leaders: email@example.com
Volunteer Orientation: To become a direct engagement volunteer at the Star House, you must first complete the Star House Volunteer Orientation process. The Star House Volunteer Orientation is made up of the following 6 Steps (the first 4 steps are online and will take 45 minutes to an hour to complete):
- Complete the Online Volunteer Application
- Read/review the Star House Volunteer Orientation
- Watch the video about trauma-informed care – This video is meant to better educate you on how you, as a volunteer, can best understand and engage with the youth served at the Star House. The Star House is NOT a TBRI® program nor has any affiliation with it.
- Take the Volunteer Quiz (before or after our session)
- Schedule/Attend your Star House “In-Person Orientation” – that’s what this event is for!
- All volunteers will be required to complete a background check prior to getting started at Star House. Volunteers will be required to pay $10 to cover their background check and their Star House Volunteer T-shirt.
Once you’ve completed all 6 steps of the Star House Volunteer Orientation, you will be notified by the Volunteer Services Director on if and when you can begin direct engagement volunteering at the Star House.
#SocialTwist: Please join us afterwards for food and drinks and fun with other cool volunteers like yourselves!
About Star House: Star House is the only 24/7 drop-in center for homeless youth in Central Ohio. We help transitional youth get connected and reconnected with the community. Star House offers a safe place for homeless youth to seek services and begin to establish trust in order to access stabilizing resources such as housing, counseling, and employment opportunities. Because most services are not all within geographic proximity of a homeless youth, Star House provides a distinctive opportunity for those youth to receive integrated behavioral, social, and healthcare services all at one site.
About #CbusGivesBack: Columbus Gives Back coordinates group volunteer events with local non-profits, organizes philanthropic happy hours to raise support and awareness for our non-profit partners, and participates in other philanthropic events while emphasizing our social twist: to have fun with volunteers new and old during and after events in the hopes of creating a culture of community engagement amongst our target audience of young professionals.