For yet another special event from COSI’s SciFest week, Columbus Gives Back will be helping volunteer alongside our partners from the Broad Street Food Pantry as they host planting projects and science experiments to link food and science as part of SciFest week.
There will be time to orient the volunteers, show them the specifics of the projects they will oversee. We will have four areas of activities:
- The digestive system – hands on activities that show peristalsis, digestion and making vomit
- Kitchen Science – make fruit slushies, proteins, slime, capillary action
- Plants – planting seedlings and/or a salad garden to grow at home, vitamins in plants, root to fruit salad
- Taste – OSU Mobile Education Kitchen is doing all of this.
There will be a poster and instruction sheet for each activity and it is important you arrive on time so that each volunteer can try their activity before participants arrive. There may be time for volunteers to play with all the activities if we are not busy.
Where: Broad Street Food Pantry, 760 E. Broad St. Columbus, OH 43205
When: Thursday, May 2nd, 3:30pm-6:15pm
Event Leaders: Taylor@columbusgivesback.org
Other COSI SciFest Volunteer Opportunities with CGB: Please check out our other volunteer events related to SciFest!
- Encourage Kids to Garden with Recreation & Parks and COSI (Thursday, 5/2)
- Star Party at the Scioto Audubon (Friday, 5/3)
- COSI SciFest Ambassadors, Shift 1 (Saturday, 5/4)
- COSI SciFest Ambassadors, Shift 2 (Saturday, 5/4)
About Broad Street Food Pantry: The Broad Street Food Pantry is dedicated to providing food to our urban neighbors who are hungry. Addressing the most basic human need, the pantry helps individuals and families put meals on their tables—providing food for their bodies, relief to their minds, and nourishment for their souls. They believe that engaging with and investing in our local community provides immeasurable return and dedicate their resources to nurturing our neighbors in need.
About #CbusGivesBack: Columbus Gives Back coordinates group volunteer events with local non-profits, organizes philanthropic happy hours to raise support and awareness for our non-profit partners, and participates in other philanthropic events while emphasizing our social twist: to have fun with volunteers new and old during and after events in the hopes of creating a culture of community engagement amongst our target audience of young professionals.